Linalla Ice Cream is a member of the Burren Ecotourism Network and actively collaborates with other local businesses to promote sustainable travel to the Burren that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people.
Ecotourism is defined as “responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people” (The International Ecotourism Society TIES). Ecotourism focuses on ecologically and socially responsible, nature-based tourism that fosters environmental appreciation and understanding while contributing to the local economy.
Burren Ecotourism Network
We are a group of tourism providers in the Burren Region who have worked together over an extended period to obtain independent ecotourism certification and to promote the Burren as a premier international ecotourism destination. We offer visitors opportunities to engage with the protected landscape of the Burren in a manner which is sustainable both in terms of the environment as well as the community. Tourism businesses within the network are committed to local produce, conservation and the community, as well as to continuing high standards of sustainability, and offer a range of accredited, nature-based experiences. Our shared vision is that providing genuine ecotourism travel experiences in the Burren will ensure the sustainable development of its communities, environment and heritage.
When visiting us, you can expect to gain privileged insights and knowledge about the nature and culture of the Burren. You can also be assured that people involved in providing your holiday have adopted environmentally sustainable practices.
For more information on holiday experiences please visit www.burrenecotourism.com
Benefits of Burren Ecotourism
You will have the opportunity to engage with a protected and most unique landscape in a way that is sustainable both for the environment and the local community.
• You can be assured that the business and experience have met a defined environmental and ecotourism standard and has subjected itself to independent scrutiny and monitoring;
• You can be satisfied that the experience is genuine and authentic.
• You will gain a privileged and intimate insight into the nature and culture of the Burren, engaging directly with local people, local heritage and/or local culture;
• The individual personalities you meet and their local knowledge guarantee a unique and authentic experience that is truly representative of the Burren way of life, culture and heritage.
• Because Burren Ecotourism providers collaborate with each other on a number of fronts, visitors can rely on excellent local knowledge of other options in the area and can avail of more than one ecotourism experience, even on one trip.
• The environment benefits from active conservation activities e.g beach clean-ups, schools liaison, as well as the financial support and patronage of the ecotourism providers.
• Sustainable travel to the Burren helps preserve the local economy and the ability of the community to live and thrive in the area
Ecotourism Ireland Certification
Ecotourism Ireland is an organisation set up to stimulate the development of ecotourism in Ireland. Its label is approved as the national ecotourism label and it acts as an independent certification and standards authority in Ireland. Core to ecotourism and to the Ecotourism Ireland philosophy is the concept of environmental sustainability and the label has been developed in order to ensure that the environmental impacts of certified ecotourism products are minimised. The label also encourages proactive nature conservation and the promotion of local cultural values, while at the same time developing local economies and the long term viability of ecotourism destinations. The Ecotourism Ireland label helps you to find high quality experiences and guarantees a high quality of delivery of services – it reassures you that the holiday and travel experience is the genuine article.
As members of the Burren Ecotourism Network, we subscribe to the Ecotourism Ireland philosophy. Our environmental policy/ecotourism policy underpins all of our day-to-day activities and is a cornerstone of our business philosophy.
You are also assured of two principles underlying all aspects of our business:
– that steps have been taken to minimise the impact of our operations on the local nature and culture
– that we are actively contributing to the conservation of our local biodiversity and cultural heritage.
As a visitor, you can expect to gain privileged insights and knowledge about the Burren. You can also be assured that we have adopted environmentally sustainable practice and that we actively contribute to the conservation of our local biodiversity and cultural heritage.
For further information please visit Ecotourism Ireland